Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mother finds profanity-laden sweets in variety bag

A mother who bought a bag of sweets for a children’s party was astonished to find some of them emblazoned with four-letter words. Bought in the 99p Stores on Poole High Street, the offending chew tells its consumer to “F*** Off!”

Shop staff have said they were shocked by the discovery and are investigating. Mum-of-three Delia Marshallsay, 27, bought the bag of Bingo sweets for her two young boys’ birthday party on Friday. As she studied the bag closer, she was stunned to see the expletive emblazoned on one of the sweets.

“I was completely shocked,” she said. “It’s not a word I’d be very impressed with if my children started shouting it. I’m shocked the shop is selling them. I’ve bought things from there before and they’ve been fine. I’m just glad I didn’t give the sweets out at the party and have the other children’s parents notice!”



Other sweets are stamped with the words “Big Gay” while others are embossed with such slogans as “It’s My Party”, “My Birthday” and “Cool Dude”.

The sweets appear to be manufactured by a company called PMS, and the Bingo bag contains a variety of more standard treats, such as lollies and candy bracelets. Gerry Loughran, from 99p Stores, said the product was from one of their “reputable suppliers” and both parties were shocked to hear of the discovery.

He said: “The supplier is investigating how this has happened to ensure there is no repeat incident as the product is designed to appeal to younger customers. It is not acceptable to be selling these products with this offensive word.”

No comments: