Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pond water disappears while owner takes a walk

When George Terry Dinnie left his Lower Macungie Township house to walk his dog Monday morning, his 2,500-gallon decorative pond was full. When he returned about an hour and a half later, the pond was empty. "I don't get it," Dinnie, of Pinewood Drive, said after he called police. "Somebody just doesn't like me, and I don't know who."

What he can't figure out is how 2,500 gallons could have been pumped or drained out of the pond from 9 to 10:30 a.m., while he was walking with Buckley, his bouvier des Flandres, in the nearby woods.

He said his first guess was that the pond leaked, but he decided a leak couldn't work that fast. The other alternatives are hard to imagine, too, he said. "How can somebody exhaust water that fast?" he asked. "They pumped the water out faster than I can fill it up again. It's as weird as weird can be."

A swale in his lot seemed wetter than it should have been when he returned from the walk, he said, and "the ladies on both sides of me said they saw water spraying out" while he was on his walk.

State police at Fogelsville are investigating.

"The pond has never been that empty since I first put fish in it three years ago," Dinnie said, noting that the incident killed many of the fish. I lost I don't know how many koi, I don't know how many plants." He said he scooped out 50 or 60 fish and placed them in a 55-gallon drum full of water.

No comments: