Friday, June 19, 2009

Teenager struck by lightning while filming storm

A Leeds student got the shock of his life as he took a break from GCSE revision during Monday's storms. Danny Webster, 16, was filming the torrential downpours from his bedroom window when his camcorder was struck by lighting, bolting him backwards onto the bed.

The teenager, from Richmond Hill, had plugged it into the wall plug socket which he believes saved his life.

He said: "It was really shocking. It went through me and into the house electrics but the circuit breakers cut out, saving my life as the lightening couldn't earth."



"I was just bored at home and it started raining really heavily so I thought I would get my camcorder and film it. I plugged it into the mains because the battery was dead. I zoomed in on the floor outside and all of a sudden this white light flashed before it.

"It went through the camera and blew my hand back and made me fall onto the bed. I just lay there. All the electrics went off in the house.

"The camera was still in my hand because I had the hand strap on. Then it just cut out and didn't film anything else. My arm was tingling for a while afterwards but that's it, it was a shock."

With video of the incident.

No comments: