Thursday, July 16, 2009

Seagull trys to kidnap cat

A stunned grandmother looked on as a seagull swooped on her garden and lifted a terrified cat four feet off the ground. Marion Clements, of Green Lane, Whitstable, says she almost choked on her tea when the bird picked the frightened feline up with its beak and attempted to fly away. The 64-year old, who runs Marion Clements clothes shop in the town, ran into her garden to find the black and white cat shivering with fear.

She said: "It just stood there scared out of its wits. I went up to it but it ran off. I couldn't believe what had just happened. I've never seen anything like it in all my life. The poor cat was just minding its own business when the seagull swooped and grabbed the back of its neck with its beak.



"The bird must have got about four feet high before he dropped it. I ran outside because I wanted to get my two cats inside. They're both 15 and probably would have died if it had happened to them. My husband Barry would have gone mad. He'd shoot me before he'd shoot the cats."

Since the attack Marion has kept a close eye on treasured pets Abby and Nicky. She said: "They're terrified now. When they go out in the garden they walk around the edge and hide behind the plants. I've got a broom at the ready just in case they try it on again."

No comments: