Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Woman almost crashes car as snake slithers across windscreen

Carol Dixon-Yeung , 27, was driving to the supermarket when the creature appeared from beneath the bonnet of her silver Audi TT. She enlisted the help of Asda worker Joe Moore to remove the removed the reptile, which was later identified as a harmless North American corn snake. It was then released in fields at the back of the store in York.

Miss Dixon-Yeung said: "I'd been away on a conference so I jumped in the car to pick up some groceries last week. "It was a very hot day and I had the windows down and my music blasting out when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw something on the windscreen.

"It was bright orange and I soon realised it was some sort of snake trying to get in to my car. I'm absolutely terrified of snakes so I panicked and reached for the button to do up the windows, but I was shaking so much I couldn't do it. I daren't stop in case it got me so I really put my foot down and swerved the car quickly from side to side to try and shake the thing off. Other drivers must have thought I'd gone mad.


Photo from here.

"It wouldn't budge and it was starting to move closer to the driver's side door so I decided to head for the shopping centre and pray someone brave would be able to remove it. I haven't a clue where it has come from. I doubt it's an escaped pet because I live in a detached house in the middle of nowhere. I'm surrounded by fields."

The corn snake usually feeds on mice and rats but is non-venomous and can live for up to 20 years.

A spokesman for Asda said: "The snake had come out of her bonnet and when our staff realised it wasn't dangerous they put it out in fields at the back of the store. We do an award recognition scheme at Asda called Above and Beyond so we have nominated those staff for it."

No comments: