Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Woman attacked by flying teddy bear

An investigation was launched after a woman was attacked by a flying teddy bear. Elaine Barnes was rushed to hospital with a head injury after she was struck on the head by the offending ted. The 58-year-old revealed how the toy plunged from the sky as she walked through Burns Statue Square in Ayr to meet her fiance on Thursday.

She said: “One minute I was walking along the street and the next I felt a terrible blow to my head. I thought someone had hit me with a bottle.” Elaine was stunned to learn that she’d been felled by a teddy bear fixed to a solid plinth.



It is believed to be around a foot long, nine inches wide and 1.25 inches thick. She explained: “The driver of a tour bus saw the bear fall from the sky and land on my head. “I’m not sure what happened, but I believe it fell from the window of one of the buildings. Two women from the bus came to my aid, they were great. They took me into William Hills and helped stem the blood. I’m very grateful to them for all their help.”

Elaine was taken to hospital by ambulance and her fiance, South Ayrshire councillor Ian Douglas, rushed to her bedside. She received several stitches to two large gashes on the top of her head before being released. She added: “You really couldn’t write the script for something like this. I’m still not even that sure what really happened. The police started an investigation to try and find out what happened. The teddy was taken away and put into an evidence bag.” The police investigation has since established that the incident was an unfortunate accident and the teddy has been reunited with its owner.

No comments: