Sunday, August 23, 2009

Boy, 6, lands dream job

A six-year-old boy has landed a dream job at the National Railway Museum after applying for a post he saw advertised in a newspaper. Sam Pointon sent a handwritten letter headed "Application for director" asking for an interview at the centre, in York.

The letter listed his credentials for the role, including his expertise on his train set and the fact that he had been on "lots of trains including Eurostar and some trains in France".

"I am only six but I think I can do this job," wrote Sam. "I have an electrick (sic) train track. I am good on my train track. I can control two trains at once."



Staff were so impressed they appointed Sam an honorary "Director of Fun" and invited him and his family to a VIP day at the museum, which is home to 280 locomotives including the Mallard and the Flying Scotsman.

Sam, from Leicester, said: "It is the best job in the world. I love it. My favourite is the steam engine, I like it when the wheels go round."

The retiring director Andrew Scott said Sam's letter of application was a real delight to read. "It's always fantastic to see such young children with a real passion for trains, just like I had when I was a boy," he said.

There's a news video here.

1 comment:

Rechelmike said...


This heartwarming story features a six-year-old boy who landed his dream job at the National Railway Museum. Sam's handwritten application, fueled by his passion for trains, earned him the role of "director." This delightful tale reminds us to nurture children's aspirations and embrace unique approaches. Much like adults seeking resume writing Calgary for their career goals, Sam's determination sets an inspiring example for us all.