Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pensioner sues after pineapple falls on her head

An pensioner is suing a supermarket after she was struck on the back of the head by a falling pineapple. Mary Raimo, 76, says she was floored by the flying fruit, which had been stacked "dangerously" at her local Tesco store.

The grandmother claims she has since suffered severe neck pain and headaches and is demanding compensation. Widowed Mary was shopping at her local store in Lochee, Dundee, which has since closed down, when the pineapple struck.

She said: "I was in the reduced section for the fruit, looking at some on the second shelf. Another lady was looking at the pineapples on the top shelf. The next thing I knew - clunk - I got hit on the back of the head. I dropped my basket and staggered to the floor.



"My vision was blurred. I could not think straight. I sat there for a while and got my bearings. I didn't dare drive home, so I got them to phone my sister and come and pick me up."

A doctor later diagnosed concussion and Mary has been in pain since the incident in July last year. Mary added: "My neck is still sore. When I'm driving I can't turn and see what is coming. It's a horrible feeling."

A spokesman for Tesco said: "We regret the incident, and it's a shame that she suffered concussion. But we will not accept liability for the actions of another customer."

No comments: