Monday, November 09, 2009

Granny banned from smoking on her doorstep wearing her nightie

A grandmother has been told she can't smoke on her own front doorstep – because the sight of her nightie is upsetting the neighbours. Gladys Gajewski, from Cross Heath, will now have to light up at the rear of her Aspire Housing bungalow following complaints from other people living in her cul-de-sac.

The 69-year-old said: "A lady came round from the housing people and asked if she could have a word. She told me that there had been a complaint against me, about me standing at the front having a cigarette and because I did it wearing my dressing gown and nightie."

The widow claims she was advised to smoke at the rear of her Poplar Close home in future. But she said: "I like being at the front as I can see my neighbours. I don't want to smoke at the back as it's dark and there are sometimes youngsters about. It will make me feel isolated.



"I don't even flick cigarette ash into the street, I always stand with my ashtray. I only go out to have a cigarette after my tea, probably three times a night." Gladys added: "I'm fuming about it and the whole thing has really upset me. It's not like I'm out all the time."

One elderly neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: "I think there are more important things going on in the world to worry about than somebody smoking on their front doorstep. It's not something that bothers me."

Kevin Davies, neighbourhood manager at Aspire Housing, said: "A neighbourhood officer received a complaint from a resident which is being dealt with in line with Aspire's procedures. We are committed to tackling behaviour that affects the quiet enjoyment and quality of life of our customers and will work with all parties involved to resolve any dispute as quickly as possible." It is not known what action Aspire could take over enforcing a doorstep smoking ban.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

It is not known what action Aspire could take over enforcing a doorstep smoking ban. nothing is the answer, ignore it.