Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tesco apologises over 'ginger jibe' Christmas card

A Christmas card has been withdrawn from two Tesco stores in York after complaints that it makes fun of children with ginger hair.

The card shows a child with ginger hair sitting on the lap of Santa Claus, and the words: "Santa loves all kids. Even ginger ones." Davinia Phillips, 30, of York, whose three daughters are redheads, said she found the card offensive.

Ms Phillips, of Dringhouses, York, spotted the card while visiting her Tesco store in the city's Tadcaster Road. She said: "I picked it up and I couldn't believe it. I just thought 'What is so funny about that?' I didn't really get the joke.



"I thought I would buy it, because I wanted proof that I had seen it."

Ms Phillips, herself a natural redhead, added: "The more I thought about it, the more annoyed I got and I told the lady who worked in the store I was not happy." If the card had been about an overweight child then the shop would have been shut down, and so would the people who made the card."

A Tesco spokesman said: "We sell a large range of Christmas cards, including some which are intended to be humorous. It is never our intention to offend any customer and we are sorry if this card caused any upset."

1 comment:

Darwin said...

The Tesco card was only funny to halfwits.  Frankly, I don't get the joke.  It would be much funnier if the card read, "Santa loves all children, Even British ones."