Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Australian snake-bite man just wanted to go to pub

If the death adder's fangs had penetrated a couple of millimetres more, chances are Dean Sverdloff wouldn't be here today.

The 30-year-old Bowen glazier was ripping up old tennis courts at a remote luxury fishing lodge on Camp Island off Cape Upstart, when he trod on the deadly snake.

He was taken to Bowen Hospital but later airlifted to Townsville by the RACQ CQ rescue helicopter.



Mr Sverdloff said he felt extremely lucky. ''I was told if it got the venom right in my bloodstream, I would have had some trouble because you only live an hour without treatment if that happens,'' he said. ''It felt just like a prick,it was that quick. The snake just sat there and looked up at me afterwards.''

Mr Sverdloff said his mate Cameron Ingham immediately recognised the snake as being one of the most deadly in the world and whisked him off to seek help. Mr Ingham decided to set off for the mainland by boat rather than risk help coming too late.

''I wasn't too worried. I was ready to go back to work and then to the pub afterwards. I felt a bit nauseous at first but I think that was more from watching Cameron freak out.''

No comments: