Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Billboard campaign in New York asks youths to pull up sagging pants

A new billboard campaign in Brooklyn is asking young people to clean up their acts by pulling up their pants. It's a public appeal to "stop the sag."



The 22-foot tall billboards will feature the backsides of two male models with their pants so low their underwear is exposed. They will appear in six locations around Brooklyn, primarily in Crown Heights. State Sen. Eric Adams unveiled the prototype on Sunday.



"When you raise your pants you raise your character. When you raise pants your raise your grades. When you raise your pants you reaise your self-esteem. Then you raise how you feel about yourself," he said. Adams said he paid $2,000 for the billboards with campaign funds.

11 comments:

arbroath said...

"Pants on the ground, pants on the ground.  Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground."

arbroath said...

Sadly I don't think this will work, but well done to him for trying.
Sagging trousers don't bother me as much as it seems to bother him though - I just laugh because I think it looks utterly ridiculous.

arbroath said...

I've never dared to ask you you can still walk with your pants so low or if that feels comfortable...

I guess what is looked upon as "Cool" in one group, is utterly daft, nerdish, stupid, or just a case of "forgot to use a belt or suspenders" elsewhere...

arbroath said...

April 1st came early this year?

arbroath said...

Aww crap, that's tomorrow isn't it?  April Fool's Day used to be fun but it's a pain in the ass in today's Internet age where, because of varying timezones, you can't believe anything you read all day.

That said, Kev, you need to make sure you include only one April Fool's story tomorrow to see who amongst us gets taken in by it!

arbroath said...

There's a hand-painted sign in my local off-licence that shows a beltless gimp like those above, but underneath it simply reads "if we can see your pants you're not getting served" :)

arbroath said...

My only consolation is in twenty years they will look back and be mortified that they wore them like that.

arbroath said...

Unfortunately, Steve, the saggy pants trend started when I was in high school. I graduated in 1995. I don't know how/why it has persisted for 15 years already, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. And I so wish it would.

arbroath said...

Saggy pants were around in the late 80's when I started teaching.  And Mark, if a kid with a large rear leaned over with that rear facing you, you'd object to saggy pants, too.

arbroath said...

I heard that the background on sagging pants is: in prison, the inmates are not allowed to use belts-- safety reasons.  And that kids started imitating prisoner clothing themselves.  It became "Stylish" in a lowest-common denominator kinda way.
:-(

arbroath said...

So that's why they say this is sooo Gangsta...!

...I still think it's sooooo Losa................................