Sunday, March 21, 2010

Football fan who flew 10,000 miles from Australia misses game due to broken train

A Blackburn Rovers fan travelled all the way from his home in Australia to see his team play – only to miss the game because of a broken-down train. Will Keegan said that he flew more than 10,000 miles from his Melbourne home to the UK for the Ewood Park clash.

But, after making it halfway around the globe, it was the final leg of the journey – a rail trip to Blackburn on the morning of the match – that let him down. He said that having missed Rovers’ 2-0 win over Fulham, he ended up only finding out the score by checking Teletext when he got back to his uncle’s house in Manchester.

Now Will is on the shortlist to be named Continental’s ‘Biggest Football Fan’, which has been launched in the run-up to the World Cup, in recognition of his dedication. Will said: “The night before the match I think I only managed about two hours sleep as this entire trip was dedicated to seeing my beloved Rovers. On the day itself I excitedly set off on the train, expecting it to be the best day of my life.



“Unfortunately, it didn’t work out like that. I had been on the train for around an hour when it came to a halt, the lights inside went out, and we were stuck in the middle of the English countryside with the rain pouring down.

“After half-an-hour of sitting in the dark, it was finally announced that the train ahead had torn down the power lines and we had no form of power. I was devastated. After coming halfway round the world to see Blackburn play, here I was stranded near Rugby with no way of getting to the football.

“I finally got to Manchester eight hours later and had to read the results of the match on Teletext back at my uncle’s house. I flew back to Australia a couple of days later and still haven’t had the chance to see Rovers play.”

No comments: