Thursday, April 15, 2010

11-year-old girl found alive after spending four days in alligator swamp

Nadia Bloom, an 11-year-old girl with Asperger's syndrome, has been found alive after spending four days alone in an alligator-infested swamp in Florida. The girl was last seen riding her bike and was thought to have got off it and gone into the woods hoping to make a nature video.

Kevin Brunelle, the police chief in Winter Springs, Florida, said she had suffered mosquito bites and is dehydrated and hungry, but is "doing well." "If I never believed in miracles, I sure do now," he said. Nadia was waist deep in water when she was found and told rescuers: "I'm glad you guys found me. I can't believe you rescued me."



Authorities had been searching wooded areas using heat-seeking radar equipment, helicopters, sniffer dogs and dive teams. Volunteers had been combing the area using machetes to cut through vegetation. The girl's father Jeff Bloom said: "We are overwhelmed by the love of everybody, everyone across the country praying."

Nadia was found by James King, a member of Metro Church in Winter Springs, which the Bloom family attends. Mr King said God had "directed me straight to her because I prayed." The girl was taken to hospital and was being treated for bites but was not in a life threatening condition.

2 comments:

arbroath said...

Mr King said God had "directed me straight to her because I prayed."

So if a kid is eaten by the alligators, it's because someone didn't pray hard enough?

arbroath said...

You're catching on nicely.