Monday, April 12, 2010

ASBO man will avoid election coverage to stay out of jail

A former seaman has been told to stop his drunken swearing at TV – or face going back to prison. Martin Solomon, 64, makes life a misery for neighbours with drunken rants at politicians on BBC's Question Time. Solomon, who lives alone at Farmhill Lane, Stroud, said he can't give up the booze. But he promised to stay away from General Election coverage in a bid to avoid jail.

Solomon, who spent the last two weeks in prison waiting to be sentenced for his latest breach of an Asbo, said he was sorry for his outbursts, which can be prompted by politicians on TV and radio. "I am sorry, I have nothing against my neighbours at all," he said.

On Thursday, Judge Martin Picton at Gloucester Crown Court set him free with a supervision order. "I like a drink and to cook and when I get home, sometimes late, I will switch on the TV," Solomon said. "When I see Question Time on, sometimes I get angry but it's not directed at anyone else, it's at the TV.



"I'm a hardworking member of society. I don't want to go to prison. With the General Election coming up, it's going to be very difficult – my solicitor told me not to watch the TV." Solomon, who was in the Merchant Navy for almost seven years from the age of 15, said he would try to stay away from election coverage.

Solomon admitted in court: "It's ridiculous at my age to get into this state and I realise it." He received an Asbo (anti social behaviour order) at crown court on October 2 last year after admitting using foul language while in his home. He admitted breaching the Asbo on two days in March by shouting and swearing loudly in his home and disturbing neighbours.

Prosecutor Derek Ryder said he was considering asking for an Asbo banning Solomon from having a radio or TV. But the judge said "It's not the telly, it's the drink. If he didn't have a radio or TV he would shout at something else." Judge Picton gave Solomon a new community order for 12 months with 200 hours unpaid work, 60 days attendance on an education and training course, and monthly court reviews. He said the first review will be on May 6.

1 comment:

arbroath said...

Perhaps he could just move to a detached house and everyone would be happy?