Sunday, April 25, 2010

Court approves surgery for teenage girl to have testicles removed

The Australian Family Court has ordered that a 14-year-old girl can have surgery to remove two testicles. The court also approved other procedures to confirm her gender.

The parents of the girl, known in the case as "Sally", had to apply to the court for permission for the surgery after they discovered their daughter had a rare XY genotype, which meant she did not have a uterus but had two male gonads.

The court heard Sally had been an apparently healthy girl until she turned 11 and discovered two lumps, one of which was in her abdomen, and had other gender issues. Family Court judge Justice Peter Murphy said he took into account Sally's desire to have the surgery.

"It hurts sometimes, knowing I have this condition," she told the court. "Sometimes I blame myself, because I feel like I am not normal. Sometimes I get angry, even though I know why and how it happened."

7 comments:

arbroath said...

A perfect example of the fact our chromosomes don't solely determine our gender. All the transphobes out there who insist calling trans women "men" just because "they still have XY chromosomes", I dare you to declare that had this been your doughter, family member or a friend, you would from now on consider her a boy and treat her as such. She as a person, her wishes are irrelevant, right? Only genes matter.

arbroath said...

People have to go to court to fix what is essentially a birth defect?  Geez...

arbroath said...

Well, she is a minor and they are going to remove her gonads. Even in a straightforward situation like this, it's generally better there's too much bureaucracy than too little.

arbroath said...

I've read some books on the subject.  It's fascinating, and proof that people ARE born with indeterminate gender, anomalous gender, organs of both sexes, etc.  How can the fundamentalists refute facts?  Oh, silly me.  I forget they only believe what they want to believe.

arbroath said...

In this case, it sounds like she was raised as a girl and identifies herself as a girl.  She didn't even know she had this condition until she was 11!  I doubt she's going to suddenly decide to become a boy now, just because she's got the equipment for it.

arbroath said...

That's not what I meant. My point was that even though this case is easy and uncomplicated, it may not always be so. I think it is generally a good idea for permanent and potentially profound procedures on minors like this to be reviewed by impartial outsiders before they are done.

hfftfty said...

Plants that don’t receive enough light won’t produce as many blooms or grow as well. https://tutuappx.com/