Friday, April 16, 2010

Disabled caravanner given criminal record for penknife in car

A disabled man who kept a Swiss Army penknife in his car to cut up fruit on picnics, has been landed with criminal record for possessing an offensive weapon. Full time carer Rodney Knowles kept the knife in his glove compartment of his vehicle.

The 61-year-old, who walks with the aid of a stick, was stopped by police on suspicion of drink driving - he was below the legal limit - but officers found the knife in a pouch in the car's glove box. He was given a conditional discharge after admitting the weapon charge at Torbay magistrates court in south Devon.


Photo from here.

Knowles, from Buckland, Newton Abbot, Devon, said:"It's a stupid law. Now I have a criminal record." Prosecutor Philip Sewell said: "He told officers that he had the knife for caravanning. He is not working and had no malicious reason for carrying the blade." Mr Jolyon Tuck, defending, said he uses the knife to cut up fruit on picnics with his wife.

He said: "He accepts it is in his car and the law is very clear. He admits possession of it and he had no good reason for having it." Knowles was ordered to pay £40 costs and the knife was forfeited. The retired maintenance engineer, who has no previous convictions, said: "It was in my glove box in a pouch, along with a torch, first aid kit and waterproofs."

10 comments:

arbroath said...

how does the knife get home from the store?

arbroath said...

For the last 29 years 7 days a week I have carried a Swiss penknife with me. I need it because it has those other tools on it and because both the knives are my ultimate tools to remove splinters and to cut ropes and stuff when I'm on my boat and when I'm at my jobs. I carry my knife on a short string of rope that always is attached to my belt. Would I be forbidden to take my knife with me, then I would need about 10 of them at all the different places where I use it.

If a standard Swiss penknife is used as a weapon, more than likely it will cut off the fingers of the user instead of doing real harm to the victim, because most of those penknives have no locks.
A stiffly rolled up monthly magazine is more deadly than any standard penknives, so they rather should arrest and jail people who carry the Marie-Claire, the Playboy, or any other glossy with them... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-p22QPA3k

arbroath said...

That is a very good point. Does the law allow people to take newly purchased knives home themselves, or do they need to have them delivered by certified professionals or something?

arbroath said...

You'll regret providing your lawmakers all those wonderful magazine ban ideas soon now... good luck!

Rule of thumb, if I'm not mistaken, is generally any knife not of an assault variety with a blade less than 3.5 inches is acceptable under most any circumstance.

When did the whole world get taken over by pansies? Knives are essential tools, just ask Bear Grylls! Better to keep them out of the hands of trouble causing idiots than to ban "posession" of a tool. wtf.

arbroath said...

I swear- One of these days I'll start a blog where I'll show all kinds of stuff that can be used lethally far better than any knive however big or sharp.

I'll begin with the humble plastic teaspoon...

arbroath said...

In the UK, its legal as long as its still in the packaging, also you are allowed to have a knife or pen knife on you aslong as you have a valid reason (i.e your work requires you).

arbroath said...

They should've confiscated the pouch (he could suffocate someone with it), the torch (he could hit someone over the head with it), the first aid kit (he could poison someone by making them eat the ointments), and the waterproofs (whatever those are... but I'm sure they can be turned into a lethal weapon).

It's scary to know that people are driving around with all these things in their cars...  :-P

arbroath said...

Don't forget the car! He could kill quite a few people with his car.
His belt could be used to whip someone to death or to strangle them.
His socks could be forced down the throat of another person, then quickly pulled out, ripping out their stomach.
So could his shirt.
And his pants.
And his necktie.
That watch looks like it could hurt someone; better take that, too.
We should shave his head; his hair could potentially carry lice, which could be spread to others.
He has a tongue in his mouth? Well, that might allow him to say something offensive. It must go!
His eyes and fingers may allow him various gestures capable of inflicting momentary emotional distress.

Clearly, this maniac is a menace to society and should be put to death immediately for the sake of humanity!

arbroath said...

I, too, have carried a knife in my purse for many years.  It has come in handy more times than I can count.  As I was a teacher, I can't even imagine what they might have done to me in the UK.

Andrew said...

how utterly ridiculous. you guys really need to stand up and tell them you are not putting up with this shit anymore. retake your basic civil liberties and rights back.