Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Man attacked by women for not holding door

A Roxbury man who apparently didn’t show enough chivalry was hit with a plate of pasta, punched, kicked and beaten with handbags by two women who told investigators they needed to “teach him a lesson” for not holding an elevator door for them, Boston police said.

Kenyana McQuay, 27, and Waltia Funches, 28, told officers Mohammed Warsame “was rude to them” because he didn’t keep the elevator door open when it started to close on them.

The women told police “they had to use their fists, their bags and their feet to teach him a lesson,” according to the police report. In fact, when officers arrived at the Tremont Street building late on Saturday night they said they found noodles dripping off the back of Warsame.

"Officers noticed the back of his shirt was covered with what looked like the remains of a pasta dish," the report said. Both women have been charged with assault and battery.

With news video.

7 comments:

arbroath said...

not very lady like...

arbroath said...

This drives me nuts. Whenever I hear a woman complain about a man not holding a door or pulling out a chair or that sort of thing, I ask, "And when he [holds door, pulls chair], what are you supposed to do?" This is usually met by blank stares. Women should know how to be ladies the same way men should know how to be gentlemen.

arbroath said...

In this day and age, I don't think gender should be a factor in chivalry -- women and men can both be chivalrous. Whoever reaches the door first -- be they male or female -- should hold the door for anyone following closely behind. If the person in front is frail, visibly pregnant, disabled, burdened with parcels, etc., the person behind should jump ahead and hold the door for them.

And anyone who thinks they have the right to chastise or punish someone for not being chivalrous enough... well, they've kind of missed the point, haven't they?

arbroath said...

I am plenty lady-like.  I got the cat, i got the power...

arbroath said...

My thoughts exactly. Or almost exactly. I must admit I had a somewhat oldfashioned upbringing and I am more gentlemanly towards women than other men when it comes to holding doors open etc. even though I know it's kind of sexist and some women even find it insulting. I still don't feel I'm doing anything wrong if I hold the door open for the lady coming behind me and let her go in first for the sole reason she's a woman and I'm a man. But if treating women a tad nicer because of their gender is a fault, I don't mind being a little faulty. Which might be a fault on its own, but I don't care.

arbroath said...

If someone gets insulted when you show them courtesy... sheesh.

I agree with cath.  There's no reason we all can't hold open doors for one another.

arbroath said...

I have heard with my own ears some women say they find it insulting if men act in this archaic, chauvinistic, and belittling way towards them, "As if we weren't able to open the damn door ourselves because we are weak and helpless women."

Most women are still more likely to be insulted if you don't open the door for them, so it's probably better to go with that.