Friday, April 23, 2010

New York cats falling victim to 'hi-rise syndrome'

There's a new warning for cat owners that could save your feline's life. Veterinarians say severely injured cats are already coming into the hospital as the season for "hi-rise syndrome" begins.

It hurts just to look at "Racket," who was found on the ground after likely falling from a hi-rise window. "He ended up breaking both of his front legs, as well as splitting open the roof of his mouth," said Dr. Louise Murray of the ASPCA's Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital.



Murray said the mouth injury is a tell-tale sign of what's called "hi-rise syndrome"... when cats jump or fall from open windows with no screens. When it gets warm and the windows open up, Murray said at least two cats a week come into the hospital.

"People think that cats can take care of themselves and won't jump or fall. In fact, we've seen cats who have fallen several times because their owners bring them home, don't purchase screens and the same cat will fall again," Dr. Murray said.

With news video.

1 comment:

arbroath said...

I have one window without a screen and this just made me paranoid... I know I cracked it open just a little this morning, was it too much?  Are my cats going to jump?  Am I going to come home to see a hurt kitty on the sidewalk?  AAAAAHHHH why did you do this to me.