Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sandwich shop sign turning heads

The owner of Angie's Subs in Jacksonville Beach turned many heads with a sign posted outside the business. The marquee outside the sandwich shop read the owner is a "Bible thumpin', gun totin' capitalist pig owns this joint."

Ed Malin said: "I figured out my taxes, and 65 percent of my income was going to some taxing district. Federal, state, local, 65 percent! That's not America. That's not why I work 90 hours a week."

Malin said he has been changing the sign almost every day in the past 11 years. He said he has never had so many responses about a sign since he put the quote up last week. There are some who agree, and some who do not.



"I think he went a bit too far," one customer said. "I pulled my car up and I went, 'Yes! The truth!' The truth will set you free," said John Tipton, a longtime shop customer.

Malin said he's sure some people would not come to the shop because of the sign.

"Oh well, I lost some customers," he said. "I also gained some customers. I maybe doing the wrong thing, but we'll see."

6 comments:

arbroath said...

That is a commendable way for a small business to choose its clientele. I myself wouldn't want to be financially supporting someone who proudly calls themselves "Bible thumpin'", and I would appreciate it if they warned me beforehand like this.

arbroath said...

I'm surprised he got all the spelling right.  I didn't think "Bible thumpin', gun totin', capitalist pigs" were known for their language skills.

arbroath said...

i  d   i   o  t

arbroath said...

I wonder if his subs are any good.

arbroath said...

Living in the Bible Belt I thought I would share this in case you didn't know - The Bible Thumpin reference isn't derogatory but the opposite.  It means that the owner reads and follows the Bible.  I thought maybe that got lost in translation.
:)  

arbroath said...

Of course he himself doesn't use it in a derogatory way. But to those who don't share his world view Bible thumper means someone who tries to impose their Christianity on everyone else. It's all about perspective.