Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Train conductor tells customer: ‘I’d stop having kids if I were you’

A mother who questioned a rail company’s pushchair policy was told: “I’d stop having kids if I were you”. Now Northern Rail is investigating Emma Moore’s claim that a conductor made the insulting remark during a journey from Huddersfield to Shepley.

The mum-of-two, 30, and her friend Laura Musson were confronted by the conductor as they attempted to board the train with their children at Huddersfield railway station after a shopping trip. He told them children in buggies were not normally allowed, but he would make an exception.



While on board, Emma asked him to explain the company’s policy. She said: “I asked him what we’re meant to do if we have children in buggies. “He said: ‘I’d stop having kids if I were you.

“I think it’s absolutely scandalous in this day and age, when people are encouraged to go green, that I’m discriminated against because I have a buggy. To be told to stop reproducing, what kind of an attitude is that? And people wonder why nobody bothers to use public transport.”

7 comments:

arbroath said...

In fairness though, most people should stop reproducing...

arbroath said...

The most effective way for her to go green would simply /not/ be to have any more kids.  No amount of recycling is going to compensate for her having another kid.

arbroath said...

perhaps it's not the buggy that concerns him, rather the mountain of disposable nappies that is left in the wake..

arbroath said...

Am I the only one who is surprised that this train service even has a "no children in buggies" policy? I mean, what the...?

arbroath said...

Tsitsi: They take up a heck of a lot of room.  Many buses in Northern Ireland won't let you take them on unless you fold them, or will let a maximum of one unfolded one on or none if there's a wheelchair user.

arbroath said...

I would feel the same way as the conductor. But more for my not wanting to hear screaming kids than the buggies taking up to much room.

arbroath said...

Take public transport- It's better! Greener! Cheaper!
...Oh but if you want to take along a bike to get to and from the train- ---please take a car.
...And if you have your hands and arms full of kids and luggage and therefore you have that buggy- --- please take a car.

Because we live in the land of fairytales where the trains are clean and smoothly operated and where all passengers are friendly towards eachother and the train conductor! Silent! Take no room! Can be stacked up six high while paying ever higher tickets and without them ever complaining or asking for damages!

Yeeeey........! ....! ...