Saturday, July 03, 2010

Three arrested for parading widow naked in Indian village

Three men have been arrested on charges of assaulting a widow and parading her naked through a village in Uttar Pradesh's Bijnor district, the police said on Friday.

The 48-year-old woman, a resident of Lalwala village, was on Thursday thrashed by three neighbours, who tore her clothes and forcibly paraded her naked in the village areas.

According to police, the three men started manhandling the widow when she objected to them throwing garbage in front of her residence.

'We today (Friday) arrested Rajveer, Munnu and Madan, who were primarily involved in the inhumane act,' police inspector S K Tyagi told reporters in Bijnor, some 300-km from Lucknow.

'They dragged me out of my house ... assaulted me with sticks and also removed my clothes ... I was forced to parade in that condition in several localities,' the widow, who is from a minority community, said.

'I begged for help from other villagers, who just stood and watched the entire episode,' she added.

1 comment:

L said...

The inhumanity of some people disgusts me.