Friday, July 09, 2010

Twitter diagnosis saves man from paralysis

A businessman saved himself from permanent paralysis after getting his rare medical condition diagnosed – on Twitter. Website designer Patrick Johnson, 26, woke up to discover that half his face had gone numb and was drooping. But immediately tweeted his symptoms – and moments later received a message back identifying his condition. Marj Beattie, who runs an online secretarial business in Scotland, correctly diagnosed Bell’s palsy.

She urged Patrick to get to the hospital quickly and within 40 minutes he was being treated for the condition – saving his face from long term damage. Patrick noticed his face was drooping when he looked in the mirror at his home in Redruth, Cornwall, on Tuesday. He then tweeted to his 347 followers: ”I feel like I’ve had a stroke. Half of my face doesn’t work properly.” Marj then replied: ”If you are truly serious, get to the doc – Bells palsy facial symptoms mimic a stroke.” Patrick now expects to make a full recovery from the condition after receiving treatment.



He said: ”On Tuesday morning I woke up with a partially paralysed face. I didn’t notice for a few hours and by the time I did I was sitting in front of my computer with a coffee. I thought little of it and probably would have headed for the doctor after a few days if nothing had changed. But then I had a response from Marj. They say the first 72 hours is crucial in making a full recovery. Thankfully I took Marj’s advice.”

Ms Beattie, of Old Kilpatrick near Glasgow, said: ”I know about Bells palsy because one of my friends was diagnosed with it a few years ago. He thought he had had a stroke and it was very debilitating. I also knew that if you caught I early enough it could be treated but if you left it there was a permanent chance of disfigurement. A couple of hours later, I got a message from Patrick that he had been diagnosed with Bell’s palsy and he wouldn’t have even gone to the hospital had it not been for the info I gave him.” Bells palsy results in the inability to control muscles on the affected side of the face. It is characterised by facial drooping on the affected half due to malfunction of the nerve that controls the muscles. Treatment within three days of the onset is necessary for therapy to be effective.

13 comments:

Insolitus said...

How stupid can you be? Half of your face is paralyzed and you don't think there's any need to hurry to see a doctor?

Foreigner1 said...

Hey haven't you ever been so wasted drunk that more than 3 quarters of your system (face, boday and lims...) looked like that? You just sleep it off and next day you just start all over again.

:-P  

Insolitus said...

No, I don't drink like that. O:-)
But anyway, if I ever found half of my face drooping, I would immediately - and I dare say reasonably - assume it was a stroke and the first thing I would do would be to call 112, hoping my speech would still be understandable to other people. I really can't imagine much more alarming and horrible symptom than a paralysis on one side of any part of your body, since it very likely means you are about to stop existing, either completely or as a person everyone has known you.

Ignorance may be bliss, but that kind of bliss is often short lived.

Foreigner1 said...

That very likely may just be the reason why one sees it so rarely --- Darwin at work.

8-) ;)

Patrick Johnson said...

Hello guys,

You raise a good point.

The simple fact is that on the day it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the day that photo was taken and the previous ones. It was very minor on the day and i believed I had a trapped nerve.

Patrick Johnson

Insolitus said...

You're really the guy from the article? I feel a strange urge to apologise for calling you stupid, even though, based on the article, that's exactly what you were. I personally can't imagine being unconcerned with any degree of paralysis in my face.

Patrick Johnson said...

<p>I am indeed the one and only.
</p><p> 
</p><p>I agree that with hindsight that it sounds completely stupid that you wouldn't shoot down to A&E. It was more the fact that it wasn't so severe whatsoever at the time. I thought it was just a trapped nerve from sleeping weirdly. It wasn't, clearly. 

No need to apologise.

</p>

Insolitus said...

Regardless of how the things went down, I'm glad you managed to save face. :-D

Patrick Johnson said...

Thanks :)

Tsitsi said...

This is why I love this blog: a wonderfully strange story, intelligent comment from Insolitus, funnies from the Dutchman, and feedback from the story protagonist.

Insolitus said...

<span>"...intelligent comment from Insolitus..."</span>

Which one? Quickly, so I can delete it before anyone else notices! My self-esteem wouldn't be able to handle a reputation like that. :-[ ;)

Tsitsi said...

I've long been impressed by the quality of your comments, Insolitus.

Insolitus said...

Oh dear. But thanks.