Sunday, August 22, 2010

8-year-old boy charges up dad's credit card

An 8-year-old boy who took his father's credit cards racked up more than $80 in charges at a southwest Washington convenience store this week, but his father said there was at least one purchase he never should have been allowed to make. Monta Knudson said his son, Jordan Evans, used a credit card eight times in a single day without any problems from the workers at Jackson's Food Store in Camas.

Jordan made the kind of purchases you might expect an 8-year-old boy to make. "I was mostly buying Icees. I bought a couple two litres of soda, like maybe four of five," he said. "And then I bought sunglasses … and then a lighter." Between Knudson's two credit cards, Jordan and his friend made 12 purchases in two days.



Knudson said he's not trying to blame the store and he plans to discipline his son, but he said his son should have never been allowed to purchase a lighter that could have been dangerous to a child. "I was upset. I'm upset with him. I'm upset with the process of the store," he said. "I was upset that they sold my 8-year-old a lighter."

When asked about their policy regarding children's use of credit cards, the store staff weren't sure and they referred questions to the corporate office. Banking experts said the cashier should have at least verified the signature. Generally, the only person authorized to use a credit card is the person whose name is on it. "That is not my signature. My name is not Jordan," Knudson said.

With news video.

No comments: