Monday, August 09, 2010

Pensioner wrestles armed robber to floor at betting shop

Police have released CCTV footage of a brave 75-year-old pensioner apprehending a knife-wielding betting shop robber. Peter Greensides, 75, grabbed a bar stool and swung it several times at robber Darren Burke, who had grabbed money from the till in a Ladbrokes branch in Bath. Burke made a run for the door, but Mr Greensides and the deputy branch manager tackled the 39-year-old, who was trying to make off with £3,200. Mr Greensides forced the robber to the ground, where he helped the Ladbrokes worker hold the struggling robber for several minutes until two police officers arrived.

"I thought they were messing around, but when I went over I saw a man with a knife emptying the till," Mr Greensides said. In court, Burke, a chef of no fixed abode, was described as a "compulsive gambler" by his legal team. The court heard that he launched the robbery attempt after frittering away the last of his money in a gaming machine. He went up to the cashier and threatened her with a knife before vaulting the counter and grabbing the money.



Jailing Burke for four years, Judge William Hart said: "Your plan was thwarted by the brave and public-spirited actions of a number of people present." He awarded Mr Greensides £500, and also rewarded to the three other people involved in the apprehension of the robber. Mr Greensides, who had been placing a bet at the time, said: "I was minding my own business when I heard one of the staff screaming."

The OAP said "adrenaline just kicked in" as he tried to help the deputy manager, Lee Heard, hold the robber. "I had to help Lee, and tackled the man to the floor - I then threw the knife across the floor," Mr Greensides said. "Afterwards I felt a bit shaken up, and had bruised my knees and back." Ladbrokes paid for a meal and a free £100 bet in gratitude for the pensioner's brave help.

No comments: