Saturday, November 13, 2010

Man drives over 800 miles in pursuit of square sausage

Desperate Michael McMenamin made an epic 832-mile round trip from London to Falkirk in his car - on a mission for his beloved square sausage. The exiled Scot drove non-stop for 22 hours to satisfy his craving for the breakfast delicacy after telling wife Irene he was popping out for some shopping. Michael, 60, left home in Lee Green at 11pm and got to Malcolm Allan's butchers in his home town of Falkirk at 10am next day.

He stocked up with six blocks of square slice, three rolls of fruit pudding and a steak pie for a total of £40. But the retired trucker didn't dawdle to visit relatives in the area, driving straight back to London where he arrived at 9.15pm.



Michael said: "I'm not mad - I just love my Scottish food. I had planned to drive up at some point in the near future because I was getting a taste for sausage and fruit pudding. But I was sitting watching TV last Thursday and I thought, 'Oh stuff it, I'm going now', and told the wife I was heading out to buy some shopping." He sent Irene a text from Abington Service Station on the M74 at 4am to tell her where he'd gone.

Michael added: "I could have gone to see family but thought I would just head straight back down because I wanted my breakfast." The trip cost him £120 in petrol - but Irene said: "I wasn't too surprised he did it - he was looking forward to a breakfast for months!" Michael, who was brought up in London, now plans to drive up again to get a steak pie for Christmas.

No comments: