Friday, December 10, 2010

Bank robber walked into pub and shouted 'drinks are on me'

A bank robber walked into a pub, threw his stolen cash in the air and yelled: “The drinks are on me,” a court heard.

Christopher Allnut, 42, had marched into a Barclays Bank and calmly told female staff: “Good morning, I’m here to rob you today. Give me £5,000 and I will f*** off. Do not keep me waiting or I will shoot.”



Terrified bank manager Wendy Grocott handed over £1,600 to unarmed Allnut, who walked 40 yards to the Old Gaol House pub, dropping £350 on the way. When he arrived at the boozer in Winchester, Hants, he threw the loot in the air saying: “I’ve robbed a bank. The drinks are on me!”

Allnut, from Southampton, has mental health issues and was sent to a mental hospital after his guilty plea. Only £600 was recovered. Imposing an indefinite hospital order, Judge Keith Cutler said the cash had gone into “the grateful arms of those sitting in the pub”.

No comments: