Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Paralyzed puppies rescued after violent birth get new lease on life

Six-month-old puppies Bella and Savanna look like typical puppies, but they have a lot of trouble getting around. "She's getting to the point now where she can walk somewhat," says owner Debbie Iannone. They're now getting help getting around from something you don't often see. Bella and Savanna now have special wheelchairs designed just for them.

They were born with a condition that means they have little control over their muscles. It happened after someone threw their mother from a moving car. "Two weeks later she had the puppies," says Iannone.



"They are very unique ... and I think they're put here for a reason. That's why I did what I did," says Iannone. Iannone took them in, even though the vet told her they wouldn't walk at all. "He asked me if I still wanted to give them their shots and I said 'Absolutely, give them their shots...' I think he was thinking of euthanizing them, which probably most people would have done," says Iannone.

She knows some people question her choice. She never has. "There's always hope for these animals, there's always hope. I'm willing to give them a chance and they're willing to take it, so that's what we're doing," says Iannone.

With news video.

No comments: