Saturday, January 29, 2011

Couple remarry 57 years after divorce

An East Yorkshire couple aged in their 90s have remarried - 57 years after getting divorced. Leslie Harper, 93 and Elsie, 90, from Driffield, first married in 1941 but separated several years later and both went on to remarry. It was when the pair lost their partners that Mr Harper plucked up the courage to get back in touch with his ex-wife, leading to them reuniting.



Mrs Harper said: "It's much better this time. We laugh every day." The couple, who have one daughter, divorced in 1954. They blame the pressures of Mr Harper serving in the war for their marriage breakdown. They barely saw each other until 2004. Mr Harper said: "Something in my mind said why don't you go and see Elsie".

This led to them reuniting and they remarried in Bridlington on Saturday. Mrs Harper said when they met again they "just clicked as though we'd never been apart". Recalling the second proposal, Mrs Harper said: "He was sat in his chair and he said 'I've got an idea' and I said 'oh dear' and he said 'let's get married'.



"I walked around the house thinking about it and I thought yes, that would be good." Mr Harper said: "These last six and a half years have been lovely. Why it went wrong in the first place I don't know but it's certainly a real lift up since then. We've been really happy."

With news video.

Yesterday Mr Harper gave a charming interview with BBC Radio 5 Live's Peter Allen. At the end you hear him saying to his wife: "I don't know who the hell that was!" I'm not sure if this link will work outside the UK.

2 comments:

SteveC said...

The link doesn't work in Ireland...

arbroath said...

I didn't think it would.

Most BBC links only appear to work in the UK.