Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Singing puppy toy turns the air blue with four-letter ditty

Mother Leigh McPherson bought a singing toy puppy for her baby daughter - and was horrified when it started swearing. The cuddly My Pal Violet turned the air blue when Leigh pressed its paw to trigger its first song.



It sang: "If you're happy and you know it f*** with me, if you're happy and you know it f**k with me, if you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it f*** with me!" Leigh, 20, of Banbury, Oxon, said: "I couldn't believe it. I played it back three or four times. There is no mistaking what Violet is saying."

The single mum, who hoped the £22 toy from Asda would help four-month-old Mia talk, has now contacted the makers. She said: "The toy is American so the voice has a US accent. They say it's actually saying 'bark'. But to anyone in the UK it sounds like the F word. They are sending me another model they say definitely doesn't swear."


YouTube link.

Leigh added: "The biggest problem I've got now is my friends, who all want to play with Violet because they think it's hilarious." LeapFrog Toys apologised. A spokeswoman said: "To avoid future voice misinterpretations a new recording is now on the shelves."

There's a news video here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like bark to me and barks afterwards to illustrate it. The only way a child would interpret this as f*** is because they have a mother with a childish sense of humour who wants to get her attention seeking self in the papers.

Insolitus said...

I have nothing to add, Anonymous already said everything.

Anonymous said...

Is this the same woman who saw the virgin Mary in a piece of toast?

Woogums said...

Yup I agree it's bark with me, hard to understand at first, because of the language of the little girl.

Zhoen said...

I don't know what accent that is, but it is not any kind of "American" accent.

I agree with Anon.

soubriquet said...

Sounds like a southern english accent to me.

As for the word? No child wouls say it says "fuck", only an adult with that word in their vocabulary would.
The mother's interpretation of it as "fuck" tells us more about her thought processes than it does about the toy's.

L said...

What do you expect from someone so ignorant she doesn't realize her kid won't be talking for at least another 4 to 5 months?

Barbwire said...

This reminds me of the Po TellyTubby doll that supposedly swore. It didn't. Maybe just as people see what they want to see, they hear what they want to hear.

John Burgess said...

Well, I've heard the F-word come from the mouth of toddlers... it was a severely contracted form of 'firetruck', though.

Flora said...

I guess it's just the Mcgurk theory in action, but I hear it either way, depending on how I visualize it. Here's a great video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw
Sometimes, you hear what you expect to hear.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like bark to me with some other sort of accent.... not American.