Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hotel investigated over 'poofters welcome' sign

Police investigated a village hotel owner for erecting a "Poofters welcome here" sign, in reference to a recent court ruling that B&Bs are obliged to accept homosexual customers. Village councillors complained after Mike Saqui wrote the message on the sandwich board outside his Penny Farthing Hotel, in Hampshire's New Forest. The A-board outside the hotel, which is on a main road into Lyndhurst, has become a talking point among locals, who are concerned they could be branded 'a village of bigots.' But letters to the town's local newspaper from readers called the messages 'light hearted' and one told councillors to 'lighten up'.

The sign was inspired by a recent court case in which a homosexual couple challenged a Cornish B&B owner who refused to allow them to stay in their establishment. Speaking at the parish council's meeting on Tuesday, chairman councillor Mark Rolle said he had been offended by the slur on the sign. He said: "There have been some amusing signs occasionally. But last weekend I found one that incensed me. The realms of decency were overstepped – we could be branded a village of bigots." He added that when he phoned the hotel to complain he was told by a member of staff that the owner could "put what he wanted".



He also told the meeting the police were planning to "pop round and have a chat" to the owner about the signs. Councillor Paul Boyes agreed and said: "I personally find it offensive. I think it is our duty to say something." But the discussion split the councillors, as some disagreed that they should get involved. Councillor Leonard Cornell said: "It's not offensive, it's a fact. On its website it is listed as gay friendly." Hotel owner Mike, 45, said: "This is a just a storm in a teacup and the parish council has overreacted.

"I've been writing fun, comical messages on the A-board for the last 10 years and no harm is meant by them. We have a small minded parish council who have their knickers in a twist and I just want to get on running a business. This is the political correctness culture gone mad. The latest message is not homophobic, we welcome gays, lesbians or whoever. After we did receive a complaint and I took the board in – and then I received complaints from people saying 'don't let the naysayers win'. I can't believe the police were sent round to have a word either, it's a ridiculous waste of their time."

5 comments:

Insolitus said...

The thought behind the sign might not have been homophobic, but the sign surely is, as far as my understanding of the English language goes. The first thought in my mind was that the sign was a reaction to the court ruling that was mentioned: with the sign the hotel owner wants to follow the letter of the ruling but at the same time discourage gays from staying at the place.

Those who think the sign was just harmless fun, would they say the same if it had mentioned - with a similar word choice - any other group of people such as blacks, jews or arabs? Are they disingenuous or just clueless?

Anonymous said...

It was just a joke and has got blown way way out of proportion.
Do not analysie it, just smile or ignore.

E said...

If a hotel had recently banned Scottish people from staying and as a result other hotels put 'skirt wearers welcome' i would see the funny side :P

L said...

From what I've seen and heard, "poofter" is nowhere near as offensive as the n-word. All I can find about "poofter" online is that it's a slang term... not necessarily a horrendously offensive slang term.

Are you a homosexual who's offended by the word? If so, I apologize. If not, then why bother getting your knickers in a twist about it? If the people the word refers to aren't getting offended, why should you?

Insolitus said...

I'm quite aware the example I brashly chose is markedly more offensive than the word used by the hotel owner, but I think the priciple is the same. Both words are used as insults, I at least have never heard poofter being used in any other way. Granted, as English is my second language and I don't live in an English speaking environment, I may not be aware of all the nuances and uses for the word. Regardless, I don't think anyone would dispute it is also used as a derogatory word and I doubt an actually gay friendly establishment would ever use the word poofter. Not a business savvy one, anyway.

I personally am not that offended by the word itself but more by the sentiment behind it. And especially by the condescending attitude of the people who feel reacting to and complaining about things like this is petty and silly.

It's easy for the people in the majority to shrug off and laugh at all the individual, insignificant puzzle pieces that make the glaring billboard of inequality, clearly visible to the minority. Trust me, as a gay atheist I know that from experience.