Sunday, February 20, 2011

Police tell man to use a sign to warn burglars about expensive electrical tools kept in shed

An engineer trying to protect his property from thieves has been told by police he should use a fluorescent sign to warn burglars they could be harmed. Former BBC employee David Bishop, of Paynesfield Road, Tatsfield, was first upset by police at the village's panel meeting last month when he was told not to use wire mesh to protect his property – as it might hurt burglars.

When Mr Bishop later asked what he should do to protect his electrical goods he was told to put up a sign telling thieves what was inside so they would not electrocute themselves when trying to steal them. Mr Bishop was made even more angry when he was advised the sign should be high-visibility so it could be seen in the dark.



"Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous?" he said. "I am an engineer and obviously from time to time I have test equipment. The police are telling me that I shouldn't have wire on the windows as it may hurt the burglars.

"So I asked a PCSO 'What do I do to protect my equipment, and to stop burglars getting electrocuted if they do try and take it?' That's when I was told to make a sign warning people there were electrical goods inside. I couldn't believe it. Then I was told that it might be an idea to make it a sign that could be seen in the dark." Mr Bishop said he felt as though criminals had far too much protection from the law.

2 comments:

Ratz said...

He could put the sign inside the shed, since they'd have to break in anyway they'd see it then.

L said...

The rest of the world is laughing at you, Britain.

Honestly... you couldn't make this stuff up!