Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Polite armed robber apologises during robbery

Police have arrested a suspected robber who apologised profusely while he held up a convenience store. The 65-year-old man, who remembered his P's and Q's while holding up the Washington state store was arrested by sheriff's detectives and a SWAT team at his house yesterday afternoon. The man accused of the robbery has past convictions for forgery and armed robbery, said Sargent John Urquhart of the King County Sheriff's Office.

During the robbery the man can be seen walking into the shop, buying a cup of coffee and politely telling the attendant ‘I’m robbing you, sir’. He then shows the store owner a black handgun, before asking if he could ‘please’ empty the till. Could you do me a favour - could you empty that till for me please, put that right here,’ he said. ‘I’m robbing you sir.’ Mr Henry, who owns the White Center Shell station in Seattle, asked him if he was sure he wanted to rob him and said he wanted to know why.


LiveLeak link.

‘Because I need the money,’ the robber responded. ‘I have kids that need to be fed, sir. I’m really sorry to have to do this.’ Mr Henry offered him $40, but the man demanded all of the money – around $300 – and apologised again as he was given it. He added: ‘Thank you very much, and if I ever get back on my feet again sir, I’ll bring it back.’

The robber then drove off in a red car, leaving fingerprints at the scene. ‘I felt sorry because he will get caught and spend at least 15 years behind bars for what - $200 or $300?” Mr Henry said shortly after the incident. The whole exchange was captured on CCTV with sound. Mr Henry said he had been robbed several times before but this was the first time he has ever felt sorry for the thief.

No comments: