Monday, February 21, 2011

Thief loses money trying to rob gun store

A Kansas City robber not only came up empty during an attempted heist, but actually lost money on the deal, according to the owner of a gun shop where the robbery took place. The owner of the store on North Oak Trafficway said he was still shaken up by Thursday's robbery and was grateful he didn't have to use deadly force.

The owner, who asked only to be identified as Lee, said the would-be robber tried to buy a box of bullets and pulled out $40 to pay for them. As Lee rang up the purchase, he said the man indicated he wanted more. "I rang it up, told him what he owed me and I was looking at a gun," he said. "I was shaking in my boots, technically. That's a nice way to say I was scared like hell."



Lee said that when he noticed the man's gun wasn't loaded, he pulled a gun of his own. "I started to draw, and the next thing I knew he was gone," Lee said. "I didn't have to shoot anybody, thank God." Not only was no one hurt, but Lee said that the robber left his $40 behind. "He donated two $20 bills to the cause, if that's the way you want to put it," he said.

He said it was the first attempted robbery he has seen after 22 years at the store. He said he hopes to never see it again. "Nobody wants to think they may have to take another's life, but when it comes to the scales of justice or the scales of whether I'm going home or not, there's not much question what I plan to do," Lee said. Police have not announced any arrests.

With news video.

3 comments:

L said...

That sign pretty much sums up the U.S. Change is bad. Guns are good.

Oy.

cath said...

No, it sums up a certain brand of politics in the U.S., as popularized by Fox News, Sarah Palin, and the Tea Party crowd.

Remember, Obama won the last election on a platform of change, even if there's a large part of the populace trying to undermine him.

Plus, given the state of our politics, we Canadians don't get to gloat right now. At all.

L said...

You mean our "elected dictatorship"? Heh... Yeah, it's not much better, especially with "King Harper" at the wheel.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Conservatives ever falling out of power again. The Canadian sheeple have bought into the fear-mongering. Plus, the Liberals can't seem to pick a leader who's even remotely attractive to voters, so they'll stay powerless.