Monday, May 23, 2011

Man found chained to box of sand in raft on river

A crab fisherman discovered a 32-year-old Williamsburg man wrapped in chains floating in a life raft on the James River, near Hogg Island, at around 7 a.m. on Friday. The man was chained to a black box in the raft.

"I actually thought he was dead so I just kind of you know touched his arm, and when I did, he moved and it was like he was delirious. He didn't know what he was talking about, and I asked where are you from, and how did you get out here with chains around your neck," said fisherman Allen Jenkins.



"I didn't know he was laying on top of a bomb or a box of drugs or money or what, and you know instead of answering questions, he reached underneath of himself and I didn't know what he was going to grab, so I had my crew and everybody there so I just backed away," said Jenkins.

State Police technicians X-rayed the box and determined it only contained sand. Police say the incident is not terrorist related. Once back on land, police took the man into custody without incident. Officers say he was intoxicated. No criminal charges have been filed.

With news video.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Lying on a bomb? Wow, that never even occurred to me - the first thing that went through my head was "stag night".

Anonymous said...

First thing I thought was he must have planned to jump in. Amazing how different people draw such radical conclusions from the same evidence.

melissa said...

I agree, my first thought was that he wanted to kill himself.

Anonymous said...

Public intoxication would be my guess they don't like to send drunks off to just wander the streets plus if he wasn't carrying ID when they found him it's can be considered vagrancy