Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teenager sets world speed haggis eating record

A 17-year-old has set the world record for eating haggis after eating a pound of the meat in two minutes. John Davis, from Edinburgh, took first place in the International Haggis Championship on Sunday despite not doing any training before the event.

The competition, held to raise money for Help for Heroes, saw 30 speed eaters compete for the title. John said: "It's the first time I've entered anything like this and I didn’t even do any training but I had friends and family to cheer me on. The hardest thing was that you couldn't even have any water with it."



The teenager just beat runner-up Keith Newton and his seven-year-old son Angus from Kirknewton to the record. The competition was supported by a number of famous Scots including Lulu, The Proclaimers, Alexander McCall Smith and Michelle McManus.

Michelle applauded John’s feat, saying it was an "incredible achievement". She added: "I wondered if anyone trying to put away a whole pound of haggis in under two minutes might be biting off more than they could chew."

There's a news video here.

1 comment:

Barbwire said...

Despite a good bit of Scots ancestry, I doubt I could eat a pound of haggis in a month.