Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kitten in motorway drama reunited with owner

A terrified kitten in Ireland has been rescued on Dublin's M50 thanks to the DSPCA and the gardaí. The four-month-old feline was rescued from the central median of the motorway near Dundrum, Dublin, on Wednesday, many miles from his Kilmainham home. “We suspect that he probably got into the engine of a car and when the car slowed down at the M50 he managed to jump off and thankfully froze solid,” said Orla Aungier of the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.



DCPCA driver Lisa Kemp was dispatched to try to save the terrified kitten. Ms Kemp soon realised that the speed of the traffic would make it impossible to get to the cat on her own. Calls were made to the local and national media urging motorists to slow down while Lisa waited for the garda to arrive.

Ms Kemp said: 'Every time a car went by, he flattened his ears..it was obvious he was absolutely terrified. My heart was in my mouth, I couldn't get to him. The traffic was going too fast, I kept fearing he would run and be hit. I could visualise it.


YouTube link.

'We called the gardaí and while I waited for them to arrive I was just willing Freeway to stay put. The gardaí were brilliant. Traffic stopped. I ran with the cat basket and just grabbed him and ran back'. The kitten has been re-united with his owner.

With two news videos.

No comments: