Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Spanish man passes driving test steering with his feet

Disabled David Rivas, 33, has become the first European to get a driver's licence despite having no arms and driving only with his feet. Rivas, who was born without the right arm and with the left one stunted and unusable, said he was feeling "very happy" after passing the exam.

Rivas, who is from Madrid, learned to drive a car specially adapted for people with special needs and which allows him to steer with a help of a command he uses with his left foot, while he uses the right foot normally.



"I've always been interested in the idea of cars, since I was little, but I did not think about driving until I saw the possibility and until I met Jose Mari Andres from my driving school Basauri. He told me: "Come on, let's try it!"

In order to learn, David asked for a month off from work and spent almost 10 hours a day over a course of a month in the school. He now plans to take his paraplegic girlfriend for a spin.

1 comment:

Ratz said...

He looks like agent Smith.