Friday, August 12, 2011

83-year-old undergoes breast augmentation

Plastic surgery is being opted for increasingly by older people, with 83-year-old Marie Kolstad being the latest person to take the plunge.

Ms. Kolstad, a widow who lives in Orange County, Calif., underwent a three-hour breast lift with implants on July 22, coming to a cost of about $8,000. Reasoning why she underwent the procedure, at her age, she said, “your breasts go in one direction and your brain goes in another.”



“Physically, I’m in good health, and I just feel like, why not take advantage of it?” said Ms. Kolstad, who works full-time as a property manager. “My mother lived a long time, and I’m just taking it for granted that that will happen to me. And I want my children to be proud of what I look like,” she said.

Kolstad is one of many septuagenarians, octogenarians and even nonagenarians who are polishing the sheen of their golden years with a little help from the plastic surgeon. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, in 2010 there were 84,685 surgical procedures among patients age 65 and older.

1 comment:

Insolitus said...

Well, why not? Unlike many young women who just want them bigger, old women actually can be thought to have something to correct. Although I doubt her boobs have anything to do with whether her children are proud of her or not.