Thursday, October 27, 2011

Indian man becomes real-life 'Slumdog Millionaire'

A man from one of India's poorest states has become the first person to win a Rs. 5 Crore (£629,384, $1,006,389) jackpot on Kaun Banega Crorepati 5, the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.



Sushil Kumar, a computer operator from the eastern state of Bihar, took home the top prize. His win echoes the plot of the blockbuster film Slumdog Millionaire. "I never thought in my wildest dreams that I could do this," he said.

The 27-year-old, who married five months ago, earns a monthly salary of Rs. 6,500 (£82, $131). Mr Kumar said: "First and foremost, I will build a house for myself and then I will help my brothers start their businesses. I'm also very fond of reading, so now I will buy many books, start a library and read a lot,"


YouTube link.

Sushil's is literally a rags to riches story and according to him, getting to the Rs. 5 Crore mark wasn't as difficult as one would imagine. "I didn't do any special preparation for this. This is just what we used to study. Anyway, the questions asked here are similar to the ones asked in our exams," he said.

No comments: