Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Praying driver survives flying sledgehammer

Jennifer Coll was doing her morning prayers while driving to work when a sledgehammer smashed through her windscreen and smacked her in the face. Miraculously, the Loveland woman survived with a bruised and cut face that required some stitches. The 60-year-old woman was driving to work on Friday on a rural two-lane road. As she always does, Coll said she was praying during her commute.



Suddenly, her eye caught something twirling through the air toward her. "In slow motion, it's like a film," she said. She remembered the sound, "like an explosion and then excruciating pain." An unsecured two-pound sledgehammer had bounced off the back of a truck, crashed through the windscreen of Coll's car and struck her in the face.

Bloody and stunned, she somehow pulled her car over. "All I could think of is, 'I'm worse than Halloween,'" she joked. After several tries, she flagged down a passing motorist. The Good Samaritan was Adrian Mosness, also of Loveland. "I was just trying to talk to her and keep her alert," said Mosness, who called for help. Coll was taken to a hospital.



"I'm astounded. I'm astounded," said Coll, who's battered and bruised - but grateful. "It's not reasonable for me to still be here and to be able to talk. I can't figure out how that thing came through the window without wrecking my car and without wrecking me," she said. "It's a God thing. It's a miracle. He was with me." Police haven't found the truck that lost the big hammer.

With news video.

15 comments:

The Rat King said...

Seems to me she would have been better off if she was paying attention instead of driving. Perhaps this was Jesus' way of telling her to pay attention to the damn road.

Insolitus said...

If I was the omnipotent ruler of the universe, I bet I could have performed such a miraculous save without getting her face literally hammered black and blue. Her standards for a godly miracle appear to be pretty low. Or maybe her miracle supplier is not as nice a guy as I am.

ambisinister said...

Why was she praying to be hit in the face with a sledgehammer anyway? I assume that was what must've happened as most people don't pray whilst driving and most people don't get hit in the head with a sledgehammer. Is there a correlation?

soubriquet said...

I'm a heathen, I wasn't praying, and I have been miraculously protected against sledgehammers every single day of my life.
I put this down to occasionally whacking my thumb with a lesser hammer, and making blood sacrifices when I use saws.

Unknown said...

I'd read this 'message' as "shut up" if it happened to me.

another said...

Thor is angry with this woman for some reason.

Perhaps she should offer future prayers to other members of the pantheon just to sure she's got everyone covered.

another said...

Make that last 'sure' an 'ensure'.

WilliamRocket said...

...an ensure encore.
And I cant help myself, "Hey Lady, dont ya think your god is trying to tell you something, like maybe, there is no such thing as god.... man up and get with chance and evolution" .... DUH !

Art said...

Stop, look, hammertime!

Anonymous said...

...I don't pray at all, and yet i have been miraculously 'protected' from all sledgehammers. In my entire 64 years, I've never been hit by a bouncing hammer while driving...strange but true.

Anonymous said...

So why is it okay to be mean to this woman who was hit in the face with a sledgehammer all because she was praying while it happened?

Would you make fun of someone who was hit in the face with a sledgehammer while they weren't praying? I hope not.

You guys should be proud! You've all managed to be intolerant bigots without religion! It must take a shit-ton of animosity towards people with different beliefs to manage that.

Insolitus said...

I, at least, am being "mean" to this woman not because she was praying, but because she claims her survival was clearly the result of a divine intervention, which is absurd. She apparently believes in a god that works in mysterious ways, I was just pointing out that if were I in charge, the hammer would have missed altogether. Very mean, intolerant and bigoted of me. I guess I am just full of animosity like that.

another said...

Anon @4:09am says:
"You've all managed to be intolerant bigots without religion! "

I'm offended that you completely discount my belief in Thor! Shame on you, you bigot!

Anonymous said...

Oh you're right, I did miss that. Well, shouldn't you be out trying to die in combat instead of on the internet? Don't want to have a lame afterlife now.

-------

And that's an interesting though - I do wonder what a world would be like if everyone was created in your snide image.

another said...

Bravo, Anon. A simultaneous accusation and demonstration of snideness.

But you're right, of course. Like you, I was being snide. My stated belief in Thor was insincere. Of course I understand that there are no gods, as I hope you do.

To be clear: The woman suffered a horrible misfortune and for that she has my sympathy. My ridicule is aimed not at the woman, but at the silly beliefs she appears to hold. The person and the beliefs are separable, after all. People change all the time.

Also, as I'm fairly certain Ms. Coll is not reading this (no offense meant to our illustrious host), implying that her beliefs are as nonsensical as belief in Thor would harm her not in the least and might be of help to someone else.