Thursday, November 17, 2011

Woman vows to risk jail rather than pay fine for stubbing out cigarette on her own doorstep

A woman claims she is willing to go to prison rather than pay a fine for dropping a cigarette outside her home. Tracey John, 48, from Pontypridd, was fined £350 by local magistrates plus £100 costs after refusing to pay a £75 on the spot penalty. Ms John said: "They're making me feel like I'm a big criminal... it's not like I've done a massive robbery." A Rhondda Cynon Taf council spokesman said litter would not be tolerated but issuing a fine was a "last resort".

She was spotted smoking on the doorstep of her home in Maesycoed by a passing litter enforcement officer. She claimed that despite picking up the cigarette she was given a fixed penalty notice. After she refused to pay the fine, the case was sent to Pontypridd magistrates where she was convicted in her absence. The court imposed a fine of £350 plus £100 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.



Responding to the verdict, she said she had no intention of paying the fine, insisting she had been harshly treated. She said: "I'll go to jail if I have to - there is no way I'm paying the fine for dropping a fag end outside my own front door. It is a question of freedom - I picked up the cigarette after I dropped it. It was outside my own house in my own street. They are not being fair: they think they can just take advantage of me to make an example.

"But I'm not going to back down, I'm not going to be intimidated, I'm going to fight this all the way to the top. We smokers are always getting persecuted but if I want to smoke on my doorstep they should just give me a break. It's not hurting anyone else. I've been smoking for 35 years and I've never, ever, experienced anything like this. I can't imagine how many people drop cigarettes every day but now I'm getting this ridiculous fine. It's just a fag but they're making me feel like I'm a big criminal the way they're going after me. It's not like I've done a massive robbery or something."

Video.

No comments: