Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Australian police downgrade charges for mooning the Queen - Update

Police have decided to drop a wilful exposure charge against the man accused of "mooning" the Queen during her visit to Brisbane last year. Liam Lloyd Warriner, 22, from Sydney was not in the Brisbane Magistrates Court yesterday for a mention of the exposure and public nuisance charges against him. His lawyer John Paul Mould said his client wanted an adjournment because he feared his new job may be in jeopardy if he flew to Brisbane today.

He said Warriner would plead guilty to the public nuisance charge but said the second charge was expected to be withdrawn. Police did not oppose the objection and agreed there would be no evidence to offer on the exposure count. Magistrate Brian Hine put the case off until next month for a guilty plea, but told Mr Mould that would be the last adjournment. Warriner is accused of dropping his pants and mooning the Queen on Kingsford Smith Drive at Eagle Farm during her visit to Brisbane in 2010.



The barman always maintained he had never exposed his genitals as alleged in the wilful exposure charge. He said he also has video evidence filmed on a phone by a friend which proves there was no exposure. Speaking from Sydney, Warriner said the footage shows him standing on the side of the road as the Queen's motorcade drives past. "I reveal the (Australian) flag stuck between my a*** cheeks and then I slap my arse while I was yelling at Prince Phillip," he said. "The Queen's car was actually moving quite fast. I couldn't exactly keep up with it."

The 22-year-old said he didn't run away and only got arrested half an hour later when police doubled back to find him. Warriner - who's likely to face a hefty fine - said he was dared by a workmate to moon the Queen, although it wasn't for financial gain. "It actually should have been for money. I should hit him up," he said. "I've had complete strangers send me letters saying they would help me pay my legal costs." Warriner will be sentenced on February 14.

Previously.

No comments: