Sunday, January 29, 2012

Man, 88, takes on bank robbers armed with just his walking stick

An 88-year-old former policeman from Bath who attacked a pair of robbers armed only with his walking stick says: 'I'd do it all over again tomorrow'. Second World War veteran Gordon King, who lives in the city, had been walking along Moorland Road on Wednesday morning when he saw the duo attack a security van driver outside the Lloyds TSB bank. The great-grandfather-of-two sprung into action and, without a thought for his own personal safety, ran over to confront the men and try to stop them getting away with the box of money.

Mr King, who was a police officer in Bath and Bristol for 29 years, said: “I had come up to go the shop to get a washing up bowl. I was talking to some people so that held me up for a few minutes. But then I was coming to cross the road (Crandale Road) and the security van pulled up by the bank. “My first thought was that it wasn’t very good security only having one man. Then something made me look again and I realised what was happening. I got my stick and gave him a whack. Then I gave him a few more whacks and broke my stick over his head. I would’ve laid him out, but then this other guy came over and pushed me down in the road.” Mr King’s aluminium, collapsable walking stick was broken in the incident and he was left with a bump to his head, which needed hospital treatment.


Photo from SWNS.

As the pair fled the scene, other passers-by intervened. But unfortunately they managed to escape and police recovered an abandoned stolen car, with false number plates, in a nearby street. Mr King said his policing instinct kicked in when he saw the crime taking place and that he would do exactly the same thing again. He said: “It was instinct. I just knew what was happening, I thought you don’t see people in balaclavas unless something is wrong. I jumped straight in and didn’t think twice. Afterwards I did think to myself that they could’ve had a knife or a gun. But I would absolutely do it again. I may be 88 but I am still fit and strong. I do all my own gardening. After all that effort I just hope the police catch them.”

Det Chief Insp David Gill, who is leading the investigation, praised Mr King for his public-spirited actions. He said: “From our point of view there is a bit of a mixed message because we don’t want to say to people ‘don’t get involved’ but in this situation Mr King should be highly commended for what he did. I think both his family and the citizens of Bath would be amazed at what has gone on. He certainly acted on instinct with no fear for his own safety and took steps to stop that crime taking place. Unfortunately on this occasion the two people got away. But it is great that Mr King is still in one piece and as lively as he is today.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a citizen of Bath, I salute this man!