Friday, February 03, 2012

Woman finds dirty false fingernail in Tesco sandwich

A woman from Truro got a shock when she discovered a false fingernail in her Tesco salmon and cream cheese sandwich. Katie Sellers, from Rashleigh Vale, was tucking into the second half of her sandwich when her teeth "crunched" on acrylic. Tesco said it will "thoroughly investigate" the incident.

She said: "I bit the corner off and felt something hard and a bit sharp in my mouth. It crunched between my teeth. I pulled it out and it was a false nail." Miss Sellers, a hairdresser at the Mamouchi salon in Truro, was with colleagues on a training course in Bristol at the time. She said: "I felt physically sick. It wasn't a nice nail – it was discoloured and dirty."


Photos from SWNS.

Miss Sellers had bought the Tesco's Finest sandwich from the Truro store on January 21, eating it the next day. She said: "I thought that people packing sandwiches had to be wearing gloves and I would not have thought they were allowed to wear false nails. It's a full acrylic nail. They do fall off eventually and I can only assume it fell off when she was making it. It was definitely in the cream cheese because I looked at the sandwich before I ate it."

Miss Sellers sent the remains of the sandwich and the packaging with the acrylic nail to Tesco and is awaiting a response. "I don't think I will ever buy pre-packed sandwiches again," she said. A spokesman for Tesco said: "Ensuring our food is of the highest quality is extremely important to us and we and our suppliers have robust systems in place to prevent foreign objects getting into products. We will of course be conducting a thorough investigation into this incident."

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Problems like this seem to happen all the time with Tesco.. Dead frogs, dead birds, mice, now a fake nail??

Anonymous said...

I was eating lunch when I read this. Operative word in that sentence: "was"...