Friday, March 09, 2012

Man banned from pool because his trunks were too long

A father was left high and dry after being told he could not go into a public swimming pool because his trunks were too long. Lorry driver Andy Toms was accompanying his stepdaughter and her friend to the Littledown Centre pool in Bournemouth last Saturday morning when he was prevented from entering the water for safety reasons.

“I was wearing three-quarter length shorts, which come to just below the knee. I got a tap on the shoulder from an attendant who told me I wasn’t allowed in the pool because my shorts were too long,” said dad of six Andy, 45. “The girl offered to go to lost property to find me another pair of shorts, but I said: ‘No way.’ “I left and had to take the two kids with me because at 11 and 13, they were too young to be left without an adult.



“We had planned the trip the night before, so they weren’t very happy. They had actually got into the pool and were swimming.” Andy, who lives in Bear Cross with his wife and two stepdaughters, added: “I was advised that I had too much material, but they are proper swimming shorts and aren’t particularly baggy. I went to reception to get a refund, but no-one apologised. When I asked to speak to a manager, all they said was that it was company policy. It’s totally ridiculous. I was furious.

“I’ve been going to that pool for years and wore those shorts there just before Christmas. I’m definitely not going back again.” Colette Kiernander, general manager at the Littledown Centre, said: “We are currently looking into the matter, but can confirm that our swimwear policy – outlining acceptable swimwear – is clearly displayed in the changing rooms and is there to maintain a safe environment for all of our swimmers. We explained this to the customer and he left the premises after being refunded in full.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.muslim-swimwear.com/images/shakira.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.muslim-swimwear.com/&h=1280&w=960&sz=152&tbnid=hvkhyU9epI1N4M:&tbnh=97&tbnw=73&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmodest%2Bswimwear%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=modest+swimwear&docid=6UR4qTX50dd0wM&sa=X&ei=GapZT6TCEYeEsAKe55XMDQ&ved=0CL4BEPUBMAk&dur=1782

Katrina in Houston

Brixter said...

Call the Waaahmbulance!!! He's so whiney. IT IS LONG. How the heck is he going to swim in the water with those shorts?

arbroath said...

Thanks for that Katrina.

I think you meant this ...

http://www.muslim-swimwear.com/images/shakira.jpg

:)

Anonymous said...

Ok, another example of completely bullsh!t "policy". Wearing long shorts is unacceptable, but tight speedos that reveal more than they hide are ok? Ugh.

shak said...

Brixter, when we lived in Okinawa, we had to go swimming with clothes on to protect ourselves from the urchins, etc. Their policy is ridiculous. I agree with Anon. I'd rather see this guy than a guy in a speedo.

Gareth said...

Misleading headline there. He wasn't banned, he was simply told he couldn't swim in his trousers - that's what they are. The staff even offered to loan him suitable swimwear, furthermore most pools sell swimwear.

Banned? No. Not even asked to leave. Just asked to change his clothes. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Gareth said...

Our local pool requires that everybody wears proper swimwear. That is to say pretty tight fitting stuff. Oh and that includes muslims. If muslim women want to swim there they can attend the women only sessions where there aren't even any male staff poolside.

I think the main reason they ask people to wear such swimwear is to preven people taking things into the pool with them.

Anonymous said...

This is common. I have tried to go swimming at a public pool with shorts on. They turned me away.

Humans are pretty said...

Men should keep in mind that shorts as long as these make them look like numpties. Frankenstein wore those short trousers like that too, you know.

And if Speedos are so gross, why not ban bikinis too. Oh hang on, someone has ruled men's bodies "disgusting". Funny, not allowed to say that about women. Oh and all women's body shapes are beautiful.

Hmm.

(I'm a chunky woman. I like men, pretty much all of them. They're not disgusting. How can "disgust" be the response? Sheep.)