Sunday, March 25, 2012

Police use night-vision goggles to tackle allotment thieves

Rural police have been issued with with night-vision goggles in a crackdown against vegetable thieves. Angry allotment holders in Stratton St Margaret, Swindon, Wilts, demanded action after raiders pounced repeatedly at night.


Photo from SWNS.

Now police have been kitted with night-vision goggles which turn the view green. Parish council clerk Paul Russell said: “We’ve had theft and vandalism.

“Many of our holders grow big vegetables to show. Some have worked for seven months on their produce. We thought about fences but that costs £20,000.


Photo from SWNS.

“So we got a pair of £350 night-vision goggles instead.” PC Frank Key said: “With these, darkness is now no longer the criminal’s friend.”

There's a news video here.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

Makes a change to see the British police doing something proactive. We get regular thefts from our allotments and the police attitude is that they can do nothing about it.

Essentially they want us to present them with the thief and the evidence and only then will they be able to do something about it. I have explained to them that if I could do that I would present the file directly to the CPS and cut out the police altogether.

Likewise when my motorcycle was stolen they told me there was little they could do. Except it seems in this case charge me £170 for recovery and storage after a member of the public found it dumped. From now on I'm going to inscribe my phone number on my bike. Then if it goes missing the finder can call me directly and save me £170.