Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Blind woman's search for blind cat

Leyna Coleman knows just how hard it would be for her missing cat Moses to find his way home. Like Leyna, 23, and her sister Petra, 21, Moses has been blind since birth. The tabby has been missing from their flat in Ranui, West Auckland, New Zealand since March 16.

Coleman says the 14-month-old's disappearance from Elvira Ave has been heartbreaking. "I've always grown up with pets but I had a special attachment to him. There's been a lot of tears," she said. "Not knowing is the hardest part.



"Even to find him hurt or dead would be easier to deal with than this. I can't help but think that somebody's picked him up and taken him in." Coleman's search for her feline friend is frustrated further by the fact she needs a person with full sight to help her. "Dad's the only one who can see and he works. I can walk on the footpaths with a stick but it's difficult to go off track at all and obstacles and driveways can be hazardous."

She says it's not in Moses' character to wander off. "He always stayed very close to the property and he was very different to other cats. He was very companionable and would stick by me and sit on my lap." Moses was given to Coleman almost a year ago by her mother Dawn, who is also blind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed, but I know the pain she must be going through.