Thursday, April 12, 2012

Coffee seller refuses to serve customers who order while talking on mobile phones

They say manners cost you nothing. But at one Norwich market stall it could cost you a cup of coffee. Darren Groom, who runs Little Red Roaster, has caused a stir by refusing to serve customers who speak on their mobile phones. Last week he put a sign up at the stand which read: “We are unable to serve you coffee if you are on the phone.”

And the 36-year-old said he has been overwhelmed by customers’ and the public’s response to his stance. “I’ve been blown away by the response,” he said. “I can’t believe I’m the only person to have put a sign up in the service industry requesting this.” He said: ““We are far from anti-mobile phones. It is purely about the interaction when ordering.



“I only did it because when customers come in it is nice to greet them and there is better interaction for myself and staff. They feel that they can not interact in the way we try to do as a business with our customers. The response from customers has been nothing but positive, but fellow traders and regular customers have been ripping me a little bit.”

He said there was only a small amount of customers who tried to order coffee while on the phone, but the numbers had increased over the last couple of weeks, prompting the sign. Mr Groom, who runs his business on Grove Road with his wife, Kate, 29, has had a coffee stall on Norwich market for 10 years. He said he was striking a blow for good manners and the sign has sparked a debate on politeness.

There's a news video here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the standard at Starbucks too. I was told to "step back, make the thumb-pinky phone gesture, shake your head and smile"

Gareth said...

A problem I've had with shops since way before mobile phones were common is staff who think taking phone calls is more important than dealing with the customer right in front of them trying to spend real money. So while I seldom even carry a mobile and certainly wouldn't use one in a shop, I still have little sympathy with shop staff in this situation. IME shop staff are more likely than their customers to be chatting on the phone.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with shop owner. I work in the retail floral industry, and I don't know how much time (of my own, as well as other customers') has been wasted waiting for customers to get off the phone so that I may help them. If you are in a shop and expect to be waited on, the person serving you deserves to have your undivided attention, and nothing less.

Gareth said...

Anonymous, how often have you answered the phone with customers waiting to be served?