Monday, May 07, 2012

Housewife chosen from millions to knit space suit for rubber chicken

A British housewife has been chosen from millions to knit a new outfit for NASA's latest astronaut, Camilla the rubber chicken. Camilla has already flown on a Nasa T-38 training jet, travelled aboard a helium balloon to the stratosphere over Louisiana in the U.S. and visited the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center in Star City, Russia.

Now on her latest mission, she’ll be braving space covered in a protective orange and white outfit knitted from plastic bags by Sue Drage, from Rugby, Warwickshire. Sue said she was honoured and surprised to have been chosen to make a costume that would hopefully be seen by millions round the world.



She said: “I got the call from NASA through my local radio station last Friday and now I’m just about finished making the suit, it should be done by Sunday. I didn’t even know who Camilla the chicken was - I thought she was a live chicken, I didn’t know she was rubber.

'I’ve had to buy a rubber chicken to make sure I get the sizes right, and I’ve used about 10 plastic bags so far in the suit. I’m hoping it’ll provide some protection when she’s out there in space or wherever she goes. Just think when you see her, she’ll be wearing simple housewife Sue from Rugby’s outfit. I feel like a rocket scientist or something.”

There's a news video here.

No comments: